Last Sunday was a special day in the life of our church. I think it’s fair to say that the Summer Kick Off party was a blast for all in attendance. We had over 400 people stick around after church for a fantastic lunch and special event. I loved seeing folks from both of our worship services come together as one church to enjoy fun and fellowship on a Sunday morning. I want to thank everyone who participated and helped make it all happen. Jennifer Wilcoxson knocked it out of the park with her food services team, Derek Tackett led a great team of staff and volunteers that got our Heritage Hall ready for the kids, and Terry Odneal did a wonderful job organizing our classic cars outside. The BFG’s showed up strong for our chili cook off competition, and I want to congratulate Maranatha for taking home the prize! Last Sunday truly felt like there was something for everyone, and I’m thankful for all who were a part of it. I’m also proud of many you for also capitalizing on the big weekend to invite your friends. We had dozens of visitors last Sunday, which simply reiterated the power of a personal invitation. Churches grow one person at a time, so I encourage you to continue to invite your friends, families, and co-workers so they can experience what God is doing at ABC.
While last Sunday was a big success, it is important for us to press forward as we have many other big endeavors on the horizon. It all starts this weekend with the presentation of our Worship Pastor candidate, Dr. Todd Stearns. I hope you’ve been able to familiarize yourself with Todd this past week, and he and Sonya are looking forward to meeting you this weekend. The weekend’s schedule is enclosed in this week’s issue of The Bridge, and I hope you plan to join us for another important moment in the life of our church. Additionally, this Sunday we are sending off about 100 teenagers and leaders for our student ministry’s Beach Camp in Gulf Shores, Alabama. We’ll be recognizing the group in the 9am service and praying for them right before they load the buses and hit the road. Then one week later, we’ll be celebrating our Vacation Bible School as their big week starts with a rally on Sunday June 20th. Last but certainly not least, we’re also looking ahead to our “Freedom Over Austin” event on July 3rd. This event will feature a free All-American carnival, food trucks, and a professional firework show for the entire community here at ABC. Once again, I encourage you to capitalize on this event as an opportunity to invite someone to come experience what God is doing in our church family.
With so many important things around the corner, I think it’s important for each of us to slow down and not miss what matters the most amidst all of it: prayer. It’s easy to get busy and forget that all these things mean nothing if God is not in the middle of them all. Proverbs 15:29 reminds us that, “The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous.” God hears us when we call out to him, so I encourage you to call out in unity for these things:
- Pray for Dr. Todd Stearns and his family as they prepare for this weekend. Pray for the future of our worship ministry and that God will be honored in our business meeting.
- Pray for our students heading to the beach. Pray that they will each have a divine appointment with God and come back fueled by God’s Word.
- Pray for our VBS. Pray that Gospel seeds will be planted into homes. Pray for salvation in children’s lives. Pray for parents to be impacted by what God does in their kids’ lives as well.
- Pray for Freedom Over Austin. Pray that new people will feel welcomed and encouraged by the unity of our fellowship, our love for our country, and most importantly our love for Christ.
- Pray for me. Pray that God will continue to guide me and give me vision and wisdom to lead His church. Pray for me as we begin a new sermon series this weekend in the book of Proverbs.
God’s Word tells us He can do more than we can ask or dream (Ephesians 3:20). So dream big and ask big from our great God. If we unite in prayer as one body, I have no doubt that we will see God do amazing things this Summer. I look forward to seeing you Sunday.